Whoah. Time seriously flies by, doesn't it? I can't believe it is already August. I feel like the year just began! I guess that means I am getting old... ;)
There are several things I'd like to share with you guys, but I just haven't had the time to blog. I've been attempting to soak up every moment of summer before it disappears. I'm happy to report that I've had a lot of success in this endeavor! Farmer's Market meet-ups, discovering Menchies Fro-Yo, spending time at the beach and the pool, summer reading, grilling, Olympics...I think this list could go on forever! The one thing that has suffered terribly through all this is my poor apartment. I haven't been nearly as conscientious about cleaning as I was before the sun came out full force. It's just too nice to be inside! Now that it is August, I feel like things will slowly start to lose their "summery" feeling. By Labor Day, despite living in the Sunshine State, I will feel like summer is long gone. Therefore, I am still making the most of these all-to-short summer days and I found a post over on Fitnessista.com with 10 Ways to Make August Amazing! It is full of great ideas, so I quickly jotted them down and the ways I can make them happen. Here goes:
10 Ways to Make August Amazing! (from the Fitnessista.com)
1. Celebrate Seasonal Produce. I'm going to keep checking out my local farmer's market and fill every meal with delicious fruit and veggies that scream summer like watermelon, zucchini, salads, etc.
2. Take a new class. There are 3 new fitness classes at the Y that I've been eyeballing- Zumba, Bootcamp, and Kickboxing. I tried out Power Yoga last month and liked it much better than the other yoga classes offered. Maybe I'll find another class to add to the rotation this month!
3. Host and Olympics-watching party! Not sure I'll be doing this...the hubby and I work (what feels like) really loooong hours so we don't socialize much during the week. I HAVE been glued to the tv every evening watching the gymnastics, beach volleyball, and swimming competitions! Love me some Summer Olympics!
4. Engage in an act of kindness. Hmmm...I've got some ideas, but I like to keep my kind acts a surprise for the recipient. It's so much more fun that way. :D
5. Plan a date night. I have already planned a Sister date night...now I just have to plan a special date night with the love of my life...any great ideas?
6. Change something. I'm thinking about organizing my apartment for this one...what do you think? Pantry and closet overhaul! WOOT! I can't be the only woman who gets excited about organizing, right? Riiiight. I'm also contemplating an outlook change. I know this isn't something you just "change," but I'd like to work on being more self-affirming...baby steps.
7. Start a new book. I've read some great books already this summer. My favorite so far was "Bloom" by Kelle Hampton. LOVED every minute of that book. The August book list includes: Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz, Wild by Cheryl Strayed (if I can ever find it at the library), Off Balance by Dominique Moceanu, and I'd like to read Divergent by Veronica Roth, but that one has been MIA at my local library for months.
8. Invest in new workout gear! I'm dying for a pair of Sketchers Go Run! shoes...
9. Pick a race to do with a friend! There's a 15k I want to run in September. It isn't in August, but its close! I'm trying to talk my sister into running it with me, or at least running the 5k.
10. Commit to strength training. After participating in the Fitnessista's Summer Shape Up 2012 and loving it, I decided to give it another round this month. Because I'm training for the 15k in September and my first (EEK!) half marathon in February, I had to modify to keep my running workouts on consistent days (Tue, Thurs, Sun). I'm hoping it is still as effective, but I also know there was no way I could manage the stress of having my runs juggled around right now. Less stress = the way to go.
How are you going to make August amazing?