Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chicken Soup for a Cold Winter Night

It is finally getting chilly (in the mornings and evenings anyway) and I am taking advantage of the weather by making homemade soups. I love cooking. It is such a healing outlet for me after a draining day at work. And when our meal turns out as amazing as this soup was...well, that just adds to the experience and keeps me coming back for more!


Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes, Kale, and Mushrooms
(from the January/February addition of the Clean Eating magazine)

Ingredients:
-10 cups of low-sodium chicken stock (you can also use broth which is what the original recipe called for; however, I happened to have chicken stock and it makes a more flavorful soup)
-1.5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into half-moons.
-1 10oz bunch of kale tough stems removed and leaves coarsely torn (they are on sale at Publix for $1 a bag!)
-8 oz cremini mushrooms (aka Baby Bellas)
-1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced crosswise
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/2 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese (I omitted this and let my husband add it to his bowl as I am allergic to cheese. Mine was just as delicious so feel free to skip the cheese if you'd prefer.)
-Additional black pepper

Instructions:
In a medium stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and simmer until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add kale and mushrooms and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add chicken and pepper and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls and top with black pepper and Parmesan cheese if desired.

(297 Calories per 2-cup serving)


In case you were wondering, kale is an amazing green food! This was actually the first time I've eaten or cooked with kale. I had my reservations, but was pleasantly surprised. We liked it so much that the following morning I made veggie omelets with- you guessed it- KALE! So don't be afraid to go out on a limb with your meals. You might just find a new favorite.

<3 K.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment