Friday, December 23, 2011

An Easy Pre-Christmas Dinner

I don't want to "over post" this season, but I'm so very excited about all the amazing foods that come with celebrating Christmas! Every party brings another chance to try different recipes and to find new go-to meals, snacks, or desserts for my family.

Last night we had an amazing roast. Whole Foods was having a ridiculous sale last week- $1.99/lb for beef chuck shoulder roast. I had no idea what that was or how to prepare it, but, being a newlywed on a budget, the price was enough to sell me! After a few Google searches, I found a recipe that looked fairly easy and similar to one I've been making for top sirloin steak (I'll have to blog that one with photos next time I make it!). Here is the recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com:

Roasted Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1.5 lb beef chuck shoulder roast

Directions:
Step 1- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2- Rinse roast and pat dry.
Step 3- Combine first three ingredients and rub onto roast.
Step 4- Cook roast in oven for about an hour and a half until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F or less depending on how done you prefer (Just ensure it reaches at least 40 degrees F- rare for beef). Ours reached 160 degrees F and was still a little pink in the middle, leaving it tender and moist.

This was one of the easiest meals I've made- I threw the roast into the oven with two potatoes and an hour and a half later dinner was served! It would have ideal to add a mixed greens salad, but we opted to just feast on meat and potatoes last night. ;)

A 1.5 lb roast made enough for two meals for my husband and myself- and we had very generous portions for dinner. If you need a larger roast, depending on the size, don't increase the rub recipe- it should cover a larger roast easily as I had some left over from our small roast.

<3 K.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment