Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Happy Holy Week and Goals Revisited

First of all, let me apologize for neglecting you for the past week and a half! Yet again, I was traveling for business. These business trips are not typical by any means...the only two I'll go on all year, just happened to fall within two weeks of each other. Go figure! But now I am back and doing my best to cope...more on that later.

I haven't been making any special meals lately. It's clean out the fridge and pantry time over at my place. We have a lot of food already and I'm trying to eat it up instead of buying more. This means oatmeal, chicken, quinoa, tuna...you get the idea. Using the food I already have is one of my April goals. So far so good!

I will be getting a break from the boring food this weekend for Easter! I'm so excited! Not just for the food, sillies, but also because I will be spending the whole day with family. Breakfast-Dinner. And it will be wonderful. I have a few recipes up my sleeve to try out. If they are yummy I'll share them with you complete with photos and all- I promise.

I wanted to revisit my 2012 Goals as it is the beginning of April and three months have already passed us by far too quickly. If you remember, I shared five goals with you in January. Let's see how I'm doing...

2012 Goals Recap

1.  Practice yoga weekly. Although I dearly love yoga, it hasn't made it into my weekly rotation yet this year. I started strong that first month, but then between trying out a few new group exercise classes at the YMCA and getting back into running, Yoga fell by the way side. My plan is to start doing yoga Friday nights during April and see if that works well for me.

2.  Adhere to a monthly budget. The budget is always a work in progress. However, I think I am progressing! Eating the food already in my pantry comes directly back to this goal. I've been a little off track with my food budget (I get excited when I grocery shop, what can I say?!) and trying to cook and eat the food I've already purchased is really helping curb food spending. It isn't very exciting and I don't necessarily love the food I've been eating lately (which is probably why its been sitting in my freezer/pantry for so long), but I do love not spending money on food! First step, completed!

3.  Eat Clean 80% of the time.  I don't know for sure that I've met this goal, but I think I have come pretty close. Aside from the occasional dirty binge, I've been either making clean foods or eating at places that have relatively clean options (like the Hummus House!). So I'll go ahead a say I'm on track for goal number three. To ensure progress, I'm limiting eating out to once a week for the month of April.

4.  Move my body 4x week.  Now this took some time, but I gradually built up to it. With few exceptions (last week's travel being one of them- and even then I ran once and walked miles and miles all over DC) I'm doing pretty well with goal number four. Some things I've been doing- although incosistently- in March to meet this goal include Spinning, Pilates, running, and strength training. I'm amping it up a notch for April. Here is my workout plan for this month:

Sunday- Run 4-6 miles (I'm training for a 10k on May 12th so this will be increasing from 4 to 6 miles over the next few weeks.)
Monday- Core Performance (My strength training of choice.  Not too intense, but I always notice such a difference on it. It also really helps with my posture.)
Tuesday- Spinning and Pilates at the YMCA (LOVE LOVE LOVE the instructor! She's awesome!)
Wednesday- Run 5k
Thursday- Core Performance
Friday- Run 5k AM and Yoga PM
Saturday- Off

It is kind of intense to have a significant workout every day of the week and two on Tuesday nights, but I have some extra time right now and I really want to amp it up. If it gets to be too much, I have a back up plan that also gives me Wednesday as an off day.

And finally...

5.  Spend an hour each week doing something that is personally enriching.  I have been making a conscious effort to spend time doing things I enjoy. Mostly that has been fitting in my workout time...so maybe I haven't fully grasped the purpose of this goal. Some of my enriching activites in the last few months include, hosting a Baseball Draft party, trying local restaurants in Indianapolis and D.C. while traveling, reading the Hunger Games trilogy, subscribing to Clean Eating magazine, movie dates with my hubby,and last Sunday I went to dinner and a movie with my mom and sister. I have more reading on the agenda for April (finishing up the last Hunger Games novel), there are a few movies I want to see, and lunch dates to plan with friends. I'd also like to fit in a beach trip if possible. :)

As you can see, I haven't been 100% with any of my goals so far this year. However, I really think that is the point of a "goal." It is something you are striving for. As long as I am making steady progress I'm happy, because that means I'll get there. Its the stagnant times you have watch out for!

<3 K.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment